Friday, September 26, 2014

RED LODGE: A CHALLENGING BLUEGRASS CAMPOUT

I am writing this post on Friday, September 26, 2014 and the planned bluegrass campout south of  Red Lodge starts today with tomorrow being the main day. It will be challenging for sure. The weather forecast calls for 80% chance of rain and a high of 50 degrees  for Saturday.  That is not surprising for this time of year as this campground is located along the base of the famed Cooke City highway which Charles Kuralt termed the most scenic in all of the U.S. The campground elevation will be about 5600 ft. The boys who came up with this event have planned well. David Nelson reports they will have several canopies and propane heaters to protect pickers from the weather. He is also grilling two 15 lb. turkeys. Several of the rest of us will bring side dishes. I doubt that I will break out my fiddle under these conditions, but will take my bass along as well. Besides, Tom Finnicum, a very fine fiddler and one of the planners of this event, will be there. I wouldn't miss the Saturday festivities for the world. I just want to experience this very unique bluegrass campout. Will you be there, too?

No comments:

Post a Comment