Monday, January 19, 2015

A 4/4 BASS! WHAT WAS I THINKING?

In a recent post I was mumbling and grumbling about the conditions of the current YBA jams at the Lincoln Building. In part of that rant I said it would not be fun to haul a 4/4 bass through those long halls. That would REALLY be true, but none of us have likely ever seen a 4/4 BASS! The upright basses we regularly see and play are actually 3/4 size. A few of the huge 4/4s apparently have been built, but they are totally impractical to haul around to gigs. This reminds me of a fellow from central MT who came to a YBA jam a couple of years ago in search of a "full size" bass. We told him they were readily available on the internet, but he complained that he had tried that but, "They were all only 3/4." That is probably a common misperception. Actually some of the basses we see at jams are only 1/2 size, but they produce a very reasonable sound and are a lot easier to haul around in the average vehicle. (In the next post you can see LaLonnie Larson playiing a 1/2 size bass.)

 I will try to engage my aging brain more fully in future posts, especially regarding the size of doghouse basses.

No comments:

Post a Comment