Thursday, January 7, 2016

FAVORITE EARL SCRUGGS TUNE

From the IBMA:

"To celebrate Earl Scruggs' birthday, here's a question for you - what is your absolute favorite Earl Scruggs tune of all time? Is it "Foggy Mountain Breakdown?" "Reuben?" "The Ballad of Jed Clampett?" "Cryin' Holy Unto the Lord?" Something else?"

 Roger's note:  If you are not familiar with any of these or do not even know who Earl Scruggs was then you sure ain't a bluegrasser in my opinion.

BTW: I heard some good sounds on that PBS special from my last post. A lone fiddler in eastern Europe was cranking out a great rendition of "Sally Ann."  No, not the "Ballad of Sally Ann"  from the New Nashville Cats, but old time Sally Ann.  I have an instrumental by Bobby Osborne and Kenny Baker of that tune and it got me and my own fiddle going on it again.  (The original "Nashville Cats" included Floyd Cramer, The Nashville Brass, Chet Atkins, Boots Randolph and Charlie McCoy. They were all frequent sidemen for other recording artists of the Nashville sound decades ago.)

No comments:

Post a Comment