Thursday, May 22, 2014

THE ORIGIN OF ASHOKAN FAREWELL #2

In the words of the composer,  Jay Ungar, this is how this beautiful melody came about:

Ashokan is the name of a camp in New York’s  Catskill Mountains where I, and my wife, Molly Mason, run music and dance programs for adults every summer. The name is said to be a local  American Indian word meaning, “A place to fish.”  In 1982, shortly after the camp had closed for the season, I was feeling melancholy.  I missed the music and dancing and especially the people and the special way of life that had evolved at camp. Picking up my fiddle I began composing a lament. By the time the piece had come together I was in tears. It went unnamed until Molly suggested Ashokan Farewell.
   In 1983 our band , Fiddle Fever, (Russ Barenberg, Matt Glaser, Evan Stover, Molly and I)  recorded  Ashokan Farewell on our album, “Waltz of the Wind.” Ken Burns heard it and got in touch with me about using it as the theme for his documentary, The Civil War. I am grateful to Ken for perceiving the special qualities of Ashokan Farewell  and using it so effectively.  At the time I had no idea that millions of Americans would be so deeply touched by watching The Civil War. It brought us closer to our past and to each other and has forever changed how we view our history. It has also acquainted many Americans with our rich musical heritage. (Roger’s note: The PBS series The Civil War included many tunes of that era from both the North and South including one melody later recorded by Elvis Presley.  However the prevailing theme that came up over and over again was Ashokan Farewell.)

8 comments:

  1. this makes me cry everytime i hear it. just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is the soul of America; North and South.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hairs on my neck stick up every time I hear this. A magnificent piece of music!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashokan Farewell is music in its purest form--unfettered by words, unaided by a massive orchestra, or lacking all the electronic gimmickry that overwhelms so much of today's musical genres. The purity and simplicity of the music speaks directly to your heart. I bought the Pure Pickin' Classic Bluegrass album, and this song BY ITSELF made the cost worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a Scottish ex army man, of 23 years service and this piece always gets to me. It is reminiscent of everything that I remember from my life in Scotland. I am now 78 years old and I get a moist eye whenever I hear it. I saw Jay Unger play this on a programme made in Scotland called Transatlantic sessions where a group of musicians sat around in a room and played. Magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so Scottish. I would love to hear an entire pipe band play it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kate Rusby My Young Man...has haeartbreak like AF https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AjblYI9KEY&list=RD5AjblYI9KEY&index=1

    ReplyDelete