Wednesday, February 10, 2016

I AM GUILTY OF LOVING MORE THAN BLUEGRASS

And that includes Cajun and Celtic music.  So last night a Mardi Gras event was listed on Facebook hosted by Billings Cafe Zydeco at the popular Billings Depot with music by the "Crawdaddies." 
Wes Horton had posted that he was sitting in with them. Not being familiar with that cajun-zydeco group I googled them and found them to be a popular east coast group.  So why did they need Wes Horton sitting in on upright bass when they played largely electric instruments and had an electric bass player? Well it only cost me $16.82 to find out.  So who were the "Crawdaddies" performing at the Billings Depot?  Just my old bluegrass buddies, Doug Haberman on guitar, and Ed Pierson fiddle, plus Russell Engessor and his big 120 bass "oompa" accordion, and of course Wes. They did put on a good show with lots of fine music, but not much from the Cajun-blues songbook.  Russell did his best "Rockin' Sidney" impression of the big zydeco hit, "Don't Mess With My Toot-Toot."  Russell has been doing that ever since a zydeco band (Clifton Chenier's son) performed it at the Billings Blues Festival several years ago.  When the group took a break they were relieved by the Song Dog trio with their smooth harmony singing and bluegrass instrumental breaks.  No pretense of Louisiana music with these folks. I wouldn't have been surprised about the headline band if my Google efforts had clicked on the dates for the "Crawdaddies LLC band."  They were booked last night:

Tuesday, February 9

Looney's Pub North Fat Tuesday Party
312 S. Main St.
Bel Air, MD 21014
8:00 pm - 12:00 am

It would be hard to play gigs in MD and MT the same night. So live and learn.  Actually it did not really cost me $16.82 to find out who was really playing the Billings Depot.  It was really free because I ate at least $30 worth of good Cajun food.  Did I mention that I love Cajun-Creole food just as much as the music?   Or that my stomach says today is definitely going to be another antacid day? 
        


1 comment:

  1. This place have unique light displays that change color and can be set to create the perfect mood for your celebration. These distinctive features are sure to wow your guests. And Chicago event venues gets better every instant.

    ReplyDelete